Explorer Problem

Explorer-like frontend add-on to upload/download.
import

Explorer Problem

Post by import »

I have been pulling my hair out trying to identify what is preventing JDiskExplorer from working when it is retrieved through a website.

If the test page with the embedded applet is accessed directly (i.e. file://...) as opposed to through the apache webserver it works fine. I have checked to make sure that all the properties files are accessible through the web (they are). The javascript, libraries, and test pages are unmodified examples except for the modification to from localhost to test.local.

This problem also manifests itself for both FireFox and Safari.

The other bizarre problem is that only explorer is affected, the upload client works standalone through the server or directly which would seem to rule out a configuration issue with Apache.

I am out of ideas. Please help!

Gary

import

Re: Explorer Problem

Post by import »

Actually, I forgot to ask a more fundamental question in my last posting. Why is the applet trying to load the class separately anyway? Clearly if everything in JAR files located in lib, the path doesn't exist. Shouldn't it be loading the JAR files instead?

Gary

import

Post by import »

Don't you forget to copy explorer JAR in lib/ folder with others JARS on the web server ?

import

Post by import »

No, the file was in the proper place. The good news is that I finally figured out this morning what needed to be done. Firefox apparently stashes applets in a manner that flushing its cache doesn't always get rid of old copies.

After carefully inspecting the apache transaction log, I noticed that the server was reporting the library files hadn't changed even when I copied fresh copies of the library files into the website directory.

What I finally did that fixed the problem was to "touch -am" the files on the server. Once the creation and modification dates were different, Apache reported the changes and Firefox correctly decided the files were different and reloaded the library files. Everything started to work from that point forward. It is important to note, that the key was to change the creation date of the file, hence the additional options. Simply touching the files without the option did not fix the problem.

Overall I pleased so far with my evaluation of this product. I do however, have some additional questions:

1. Is there any way to turn horizontal scrolling on within the directory windows such that the file date can be fully seen? As it stands it is very hard to see unless a person uses a very wide applet or starts fudging the size of individual fields.

2. I noticed that drag and drop only works if you drag a file from the computer onto another folder or file on the remote side. If you drag a file into the pane, but not on an existing file, you don't get the green circle with a plus in it and consequently the transfer is not made. This would seem to be confusing to most people who expect that dropping a file or folder anywhere within the file window should cause the transfer to commence.

3. Is it possible to add additional pass-through commands that feed the server script to the pop-up window by simply adding them to the properties files or does this require changes to the source code. My guess is the latter, but it never hurts to be hopeful.

4. Recursive deletion only seems to work for local folders on the computer. If I try to delete an entire folder on the remote side, I get an error. The apache error log shows that an attempt was made to delete a folder that was not empty.

Gary

import

Post by import »

1 - No, this feature is not available in current version.

2 - Yes, true, we're trying to improve this in next release.

3 - Which command would you like to pass ?

4 - This problem is fixed in next release. I can provide a beta if you want.

import

Post by import »

I give you an "A+" for responsiveness. It is too bad other companies in the world don't share that philosophy.

OK this is good to know. I very would be happy to be a beta tester since these generally are win-win situations.

As for question #3, I need to open a special viewer to a given file if a user selects the file. Would it be possible if a user double clicks on a folder or file to initiate a POST on the main browser window to a link specified in advance in the pane properties file providing the name of the file or folder that was clicked in the window? The other alternative would be to add a right click menu item like "details" that would do the same.

In my opinion this simple feature would make your applet significantly more powerful. This would allow users to jump to other webpages/applets directly from the explorer without having to create redundant file/folder processing interfaces.

I would sing your praises if you can help me with that simple problem! If you have a beta with that feature or other ideas how to approach this problem, please let me know! :)

Gary

import

Post by import »

For #3 with double clicks, you want a (1) browser window to open or an (2) applet window ? If (1) then I think we need a JavaScript callback such as:
function clickCallBack(filename)
{
// Do what you want here.
}
Does it make sense for your need ?

import

Post by import »

Actually as I think about it, both would be of use to different types of people.

In my case, however, the JS callback would be the way to go, since I can set up my post variables as needed and then do a document.submit() to cause the page to submit.

I did think of one rub to using the double click. This will work with files, but won't work with folders since a double click only will take you down to the next level in the current applet. Putting it as on option on the right-click popup would work for both files and folders. Is my logic sound?

import

Post by import »

I think I found a possible bug that I have been able to isolate during my evaluation. If I enable the overall progress meter by uncommenting "progress.info=overallprogressbar" and then attempt to download a single file from the remote side to the local computer, I get the following error:

INFO: Download (POST) started : /Downloads/edress_import_file.txt
INFO: Status code = 200
Exception in thread "Thread-851" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1

If I comment the line to disable the overall progress meter, everything works fine. Any ideas?

Also have you given my feature proposal outlined earlier anymore thought?

Gary

import

Post by import »

Yes, reproduced and fixed.
I didn't read the feature proposal yet.